Monday, April 23, 2012

CAEE Dublin Job Fair

On Saturday, I went to a job fair in Dublin. I made a huge mistake on the way to the job fair. This is the first job fair which has required me to basically pay an admission fee. I drove all the way to the exit and forgot my wallet, so then I had to drive all the way back. So, I basically spent 2 hours and 40 minutes on driving. That sucked.

Anyway, if you were not yet a teacher, you needed to pay $5. That kind of pissed me off. It pissed me off because I can't think of a good justification for doing that. One possibility is that they would want to discourage non-teachers from attending. They would want the job fair to consist mainly of current teachers. I'm skeptical of that though. It's only $5. $5 is not going to discourage many people from going somewhere which they may find a job from. I'm inclined to believe that they were just looking to make some cash off of the event. That annoys me since without the prospective teachers, they wouldn't have a job fair.

So, it's interesting. There weren't many people at the job fair. I could seriously run through the gymnasium of Dublin HS with no problem. That could be for multiple reasons. One could be due to them charging $5, but I think more likely is that Dublin is not very reachable by public transit. Anyway, it's anyone's guess.

I saw two interesting prospects there. It was interesting that there were employers all the way from Seattle at the job fair. They encouraged me to apply, so I did. I assume that they are short in supply for teachers in Washington state. I also applied for Singapore International School (aka: Kinderworld International). Apparently, they need teachers in Vietnam. Both opportunities sound interesting. I've been in California for almost half my life, so I wouldn't mind stepping out of my comfort zone. Also, the compensation for Vietnam sounds pretty good. $2200 per month for salary (includes full benefits in calculation), $380 to 400 for rent, $2000 per year for travel, and I think a $5000 stipend (I need to verify that last part). That's in American dollars... not Dong which is the name of the Vietnamese currency.

Alright. That's all I have to say about this job fair. There wasn't much to see at the job fair, but I still took pictures. I'll aim to upload those tomorrow. Don't have time right now. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment