Sunday, April 15, 2012

Credential Program Complete... But, Not Enough

Alright. I'm back from my spring break. My spring break mostly a break. Completing my program is not enough to get me my credential. In an earlier post, I mentioned my remaining requirements before I get my credential. I've had to study for the RICA. RICA stands for Reading Instruction Competence Assessment. It's an assessment of a candidate's ability to teach and assess reading, writing, and oral English. For whatever reason, the test didn't cost me anything. I think it's because I said I was with CalState Teach. The exam is about 3 and 1/2 hours. Joy. Originally, I was studying for this exam a semester in advance, but one of my supervisor advised me against it. I wish I didn't listen. I will basically have had two weeks to study for it. I'm taking the exam on April 19th. Don't get me wrong. I've been practicing for this exam and it seems pretty easy since I'm able to recall what I learned while student teaching. But, when I study, I like to go overkill on what I'm studying. I like to be as close to 100% sure that I'll do perfect on the exam. It's a lot to ask for, but I always want to do my best.

A week after I finish the RICA, I will complete my US Constitution test. Luckily, I can take this test online, so that grants me a little more flexibility. I don't need to go to a specified location to take it, make an appointment, or wait until 3rd Thursday of the month or something like that. This test cost me $85. It has 50 multiple choice questions.. It wasn't very wise to allow this test to be taken over the internet. That's assuming that they care that they can't track who is cheating on this test or not.

Then, on April 27th, I will do my CPR certification. That was $90. It's a 4 hour class, so that's not too bad.

I'm not sure what bothers me more... The amount of hoops I'm jumping through to get my credential or how much these tests are eating into my pocket. Yup... I hope I can find a teaching job.

No comments:

Post a Comment