Saturday, July 7, 2012

Offer Accepted

So, about two and a half weeks ago, I told you how I was on the look out for an experienced teacher to observe me while I teach at my new job. I wasn't able to find anyone in a neighboring university, but I got in touch with my friend who is a special resources teacher at LeConte and he referred me to a teacher whose behavior management skills he thought well of. That got me excited. As soon as he said that, I asked whether he could give me her email address, and so, he did. This is the email I had first sent her:

"Hi Cassandra,

My name is Autif Kamal. Juan Zuniga, the special resources teacher at LeConte Elementary referred me to you. I know him because I did a year of student teaching their under Luis Argueta, Dana Blanchard, and Sasha Tyshler. Juan spoke well of your behavior management skills. Recently, I've started teaching writing to a class of sixteen 3rd and 4th graders in a tutoring center in SF Chinatown. I've been reading books in behavior management, but my skills aren't improving quite as quickly as I'd like.

I'm looking for someone to observe me while I teach, share their observations with me, and then suggest how I can modify my behavior management. I would be willing to pay $50 an hour for two hours a week for a service like that. Would you consider this offer? Please let me know. Thanks.

Autif"

So, that's the email that I sent out. You might be wondering why I started straight out with an hourly wage rather than letter her make an offer. Because if I did let her make an offer, she might have pitched an offer lower than $50 per hour. Well... to be honest, I'm just desperate. I want to improve as quickly and effectively as possible, so I just wanted to make sure that I made the offer as enticing as I was able to. Anyway, this is how she responded:

"Hi Autif
I would love to help!  That is so nice of Juan to recommend me.  I have been an advisor for Mills College student teachers for 4 years and love working with teachers in this capacity.  When were you thinking? 

Thanks

KC"

So yea, she said yes! After that, we talked over the phone to give her an idea of what I'm having difficulty with. Afterward, I sent her an email to explain what the purpose of the class is just so she has some background on what I'm trying to achieve in the class. Because if she doesn't then she won't have an idea of what students are supposed to be doing in the class. I also told her some demographic information for the classroom as well as the time schedule. I'm not sure whether I should be telling her anything else about the classroom.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on how this arrangement goes. I'm excited to make some dramatic improvements in my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment