Saturday, May 19, 2012

Importance of National Education Standards

When I first start planning out the curriculum for my new job, I was just perusing through the book. As I was perusing through the book, I was just cherry picking the pages that I was going to go over. I stopped doing that after I given the Common Core Standards handbook. Basically, the Common Core Standards handbook enumerate all the objectives which a student must satisfy in order to progress onto the next grade. If I were to just choose arbitrarily as I had initially began, then there would be no guarantee that my students would make relevant progress with respect to writing.

So, what I'm trying to do is to get each of my lessons to satisfy at least one objective. To plan for that, I have a hard copy of the Common Core Standards handbook. In the relevant pages, I put a post it. Then, I write the listed number of the objectives which I will satisfy. After that, I search for the lessons that satisfy the objectives which I've decided on or am considering. Now, I can guarantee that the lessons I choose will make relevant progress towards their writing ability. I can guarantee that they will make relevant progress towards their writing ability because the schools which they go to will also attempt to address these same objectives. They will already be familiar to my students.

So, there are a few things you can take away from this. National Education standards are important for the sake of having academic objectives specified. They are also important for when a student goes from one classroom to another. The new classroom they enter will be minimally foreign to them because both I and this student's next classroom will be sticking to the content of these objectives. That means that this student will not necessarily enter a new classroom which is altogether too easy, not necessarily too hard either, but definitely familiar. Those circumstances would be unlikely if no teacher followed National Education standards, but rather just their own arbitration.

No comments:

Post a Comment