Monday, August 6, 2012

Post In Class Assignment Activities

So, something I learned last month which was my first session teaching at this tutoring center is that word searches are extremely popular among them. Since my experiences with word searches have been isolated to this tutoring center, I'm not sure whether the interest in word searches varies all that much when the ethnic demographics change. But, I know that students in my tutoring center from 3rd to 6th grade enjoy word searches.

What I did with my students is that I would tell them what in class assignment they need to complete. Once they complete the in class assignment and show me that its complete, they may pick up a word search. That often seemed to motivate several of my students to complete their in class assignments.

Making the word search was pretty easy. I took one of the vocabulary words for the week, looked up synonyms and antonyms in www.thesaurus.com, and used a word search maker to make two ten word synonym and antonym word searches.

Next month, I will have to teach middle schoolers. I'm unsure about whether they will get bored of word searches faster than my 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders. So, I want to give them something a little more challenging.

I love Amazon... I found these picture detective books. You're given a narrative of a crime, a picture, and some yes or no questions, including who murdered the victim. It looks like fun. I'm not 100% sure that they'd enjoy it though. I'd hate to get it and figure out that they find it too difficult or not interesting.

Anyway, there are some post in class assignment activity ideas for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment