Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Potential Behavioral Management Plan

This is how I've organized my behavior management system. Basically, the following is my personal notes, but I don't think you will have difficulty interpreting it.


Behavioral Management System

Fixed Factors
  • Tables
    • 6
  • Students per table
    • 4
  • Points per lesson
    • 3 (for beginning, middle, and end)
  • Prize
    • Pizza Party

Varying Factors
- Lessons per day
  • 2 (for 7 weeks)
    • Total Possible Points: 42
  • 3 (for 7 weeks)
    • Total Possible Points: 63
- # of Behavioral Expectations
  • 1: Raise your hand (i.e. Don't call out) (2 weeks)
    • First week with interval prompts
    • Second week without interval prompts
  • 2: Eyes and ears on the speaker (2 weeks)
    • First week with interval prompts
    • Second week without interval prompts
  • 3: Keep your body and objects to yourself (3 weeks)
    • First week with interval prompts
    • Second week without interval prompts
Basically, from now until April, the students I teach need to follow these rules. Every time they follow them at the beginning, middle, and end of a lesson, I give them points. By April, if they have at least a total of 100 points, then they get a pizza party. I'll have to double check with my students to make sure that this will be desirable to them. I'm pretty sure it will. Pizza parties for kids are like string for cats.

For the most part, I will pursue this behavior management system, but I suspect that there is one shortfall with it. The shortfall is that there is not really any short term reward. An example of a short term reward is Mr. Agajan and his fruit roll ups. They get 5 stars for completing their homework for every school day each week. In which case, they get a fruit roll up. It's surprising how much it drives them. I can't do exactly the same thing as Mr. Agajan. But, I must find some reward to give them for following these rules each week. That's something that I'll need to think about over this weekend. Why?

It's a long time from now until April for a pizza party. So, the weekly reward is just something small to keep them going. Anyway, I'll begin implementing both my short and long term reward/behavior management system next week. Let's see how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment